{Tutorial Tuesday} Placemat Tray

posted on: Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Fact: Even something ugly can be pretty.
So I got this 90's tastic lovely the other day. Oh, stop gushing over it, I know ya'll want it for yourselves. It's mine all mine--muahahahahaha.  
So my endless love for primer continues. Maybe it is the high that I get from spraying indoors? hmm, not quite sure.

Okey-doke.

Steps: Two coats of Kilz Primer. One nice coat of Krylon white spray paint. 30 minutes to dry.
I considered mod podging the tray, I considered painting the tray, I even considered the nifty starch trick with fabric, but I decided on something so much easier.

I took a placemat that I got for .98 at Target and cut it to fit the tray.  Yeah, that easy, no joke.
But here is the kicker. If I ever decide I don't like it, I can just pull it out and put a different one in...I can give my trusty tray a new outfit for every day of the week.  ha. funny? no.
Now I can use this little lovely to hold all my not so lovely junk.

I am sure ya'll have a place in your bedroom for sour patch kids. Instead of eating bon bons in bed I am usually getting my sugar fix from this sweet lil' babies.

Oh, and the bowls, you ask? Got them for .25 cents a piece at the thrift store. Total steal.

22 comments:

  1. What a Transformation! From Drab to Fab.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am obsessed with primer and painting things white.. there should be a 12-step group for people like us :) i started following you a week ago and i love your stuff !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great! Congrats on OMTWI, I made it too! Don't be surprised if I show up to help you wash dishes and walk off with those awesome blue bowls (your sour patch kids will dissapear too!). Good luck, stop by sometime, domesticdeadline.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome idea for the placemat! I love that it isn't permanent (although it looks great in there!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE THIS! I just spent 2 hours last night painting a pattern on a tray. I wish I would've thought of this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! How bad was the spray painting indoors? It's still so cold here that I can't bear to paint even in the garage. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hals, I will pay you for this tray! Forget about teaching me how to do it -- how much do you want for it? I need a new tray to keep on my new dresser to catch all my crap, including crocheting projects. I think you just solved my mystery. Now to get you to sell it to me...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally awesome! I must admit that I cannot pass up a deal on those Target placemats! They are always on clearance and I have a HUGE stack of them. I use them for everything! Under the kids playdough, as a cutting mat for crafts, even as a placemat (gasp)!
    Great project! I will have to try this too!!
    =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic Idea. I have a tray I bought at a thrift store half spray painted- maybe I should dig it out and finish it up with something like this :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness! That is super cute! I love it! I never would've thought of that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're a genius! Love this!! I love trays and cen never seem to have enough.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a great idea! I have a tray at home that could use a little something and the placemat really turns it into something special!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow. What a great idea. I'm your newest follower. Be sure to stop by my blog Monday and add your project to the More The Merrier Monday Link Party.

    http://diyhshp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous, love a great tray makeover!! Janell

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE it! I have that same placemat, so cute!! I hope you'll link it up at I Heart Nap Time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this! Totally bookmarking:). Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ok, seriously? Brilliant.
    I have a tray that needs a facelift. Im heading to Target.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love how simple and clean this project is! Thanks for sharing. Stop by and show off your work any time http://stirizsisters.blogspot.com/search/label/Link%20Party

    ReplyDelete

Spunky Junky All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger